Between 13, Erfurt was allied with the two other major Thuringian cities (Mühlhausen and Nordhausen) in the Thuringian City Alliance and the three cities joined the Hanseatic League together in 1430.
A peak in economic development was reached in the 15th century, when the city had a population of 20,000 making it to one of the largest in Germany.
100,000 BCE The town is first mentioned in 742 under the name of "Erphesfurt": in that year, Saint Boniface wrote to Pope Zachary to inform him that he had established three dioceses in central Germany, one of them "in a place called Erphesfurt, which for a long time has been inhabited by pagan natives." All three dioceses (the other two were Würzburg and Büraburg) were confirmed by Zachary the next year, though in 755 Erfurt was brought into the diocese of Mainz.During the 12th century, as a sign of more and more independence, the citizens built a city wall around Erfurt (in the area of today's ).After 1200, independence was fulfilled and a city council was founded in 1217; the town hall was built in 1275.The Erfurt Treasure with various gold and silver objects is shown in the exhibition in the synagogue today." and others, the hospital and the church of the university). In 1530, the city became one of the first in Europe to be officially bi-confessional with the Hammelburg Treaty.The university quickly became a hotspot of German cultural life in Renaissance humanism with scholars like Ulrich von Hutten, Helius Eobanus Hessus and Justus Jonas. It kept that status through all the following centuries.
Singlebörse free Erfurt
The university was founded in 1379, making it the first university to be established in geographic area which constitutes modern day Germany.It closed in 1816 and was re-established in 1994, with the main modern campus on what was a former teachers' training college.From 1949 until 1990 Erfurt was part of the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). online dating komplett kostenlos München Notable institutions in Erfurt are the Federal Labour Court of Germany, the University of Erfurt and the Fachhochschule Erfurt (University of Applied Sciences).In the following decades, the council bought a city-owned territory around Erfurt which consisted at its height of nearly 100 villages and castles and even another small town (Sömmerda).
Erfurt became an important regional power between the Landgraviate of Thuringia around, the Electorate of Mainz to the west and the Electorate of Saxony to the east.Throughout the Middle Ages, Erfurt was an important trading town because of its location, near a ford across the Gera river.Together with the other five Thuringian woad towns of Gotha, Tennstedt, Arnstadt and Langensalza it was the centre of the German woad trade, which made those cities very wealthy.Before the persecution, a wealthy Jewish merchant buried his property in the basement of his house.In 1998, this treasure was found during construction works. His Protestant Reformation found its way to Erfurt in 1521.